The RMS has released its assessment* for the Albion Park Rail Bypass, a project set to improve the Princes Highway. An improvement well due since the NRMA labelled it ‘The Worst Road in the Illawarra’ for five consecutive years.
The Albion Bypass has been labelled the Missing Link between Sydney and Bomaderry to the Princes Highway, the final piece to a serious of either completed, planned or ongoing projects set to improve the trip for commuters. MP Anna Watson, Labor Member for Shellharbour has been pushing for the project since March 2011 and finally, as of January 2018, the Department of Planning and Environment approved the plan for the project, allowing it to move ahead to the next stages, with a short list of contractors already selected.
- Fulton Hogan
- John Holland / BMD Joint Venture
The contract will be awarded around the middle of the year, with the early works already underway with services being relocated and fencing being put in place. Minor works are set to begin once the contract is awarded before major construction is set to start at the beginning of 2019.
The project is worth $550 million, the 9.8km road still undergoing planning and alterations. At present, the upgrade to the last section of the Princes Highway between Yallah and Oak Flats will include:
- Bridges to be built over the South Coast Rail Line, Duck Creek, the Macquarie Rivulet and Fraser Creek as well as over the pre-existing Princes Highway and Tongarra Road
- Construction of four lanes, two either direction of travel
- Three interchanges at Yallah, Albion Park and Oak Flats (Yallah Interchange build is currently under debate)
- Improve pedestrian and cyclist facilities
A total of twelve projects are to be executed or have already been completed for the Princes Highway upgrade:
- Albion Bypass – To begin 2019
- Gerringong Upgrade – Completed
- Foxground to Berry Bypass – Completed
- Berry to Bomaderry Upgrade – To start 2018
- Nowra Bridge Project – In planning stages
- Burrill Lake Bridge Replacement – Completed
- Dignams Creek – To be completed mid 2019
- Improvements from Figtree to Dapto – In planning stages
- Batemans Bay Bridge Replacement – To begin early 2019
- Mount Ousley Road Projects – Underway
- South Nowra – Completed
- Termeil Creek Upgrade – Complete
If you are an engineer with a passion for civil projects, get in touch with us today!
Curious about what the RMS report said, you can find the details here: *aprb-prelim-document-assessment-report